Cementiri De Poblenou




 No trip of mine is ever complete until I visit a cemetery. I have a very deep respect and morbid curiosity towards life, death and the afterlife. While on our Spanish vacation we walked to Poblenou cemetery which was not very far from our hotel at all. I was searching for one grave in particular, The Kiss of Death...

What I found to be so beautiful is the amount of flowers at almost every grave. Family members still come to visit, say hello and actively show their loved ones are not forgotten.

As we turned corners, down steps then back up towards the back of the cemetery I took in a gasp and I saw the beautiful sculpture....

Look at Death, in a form of a winged skeleton kissing a young, strong man..

  "His young heart is thus extinguished. The blood in his veins grows cold. And all strength has gone. Faith has been extolled. By his fall into the arms of death. Amen".   




                   



The cemetery is a beautiful place to sit, reflect and appreciate the beautiful sculptures, mausoleums and art throughout. I bet not too many people talk about what they want when they pass, on their honeymoon, however this is where I made my husband swear to me that when I go he will dedicate a beautiful place for me so other people can come and do as I do now...think, daydream about who the people were that now rest here forever. Some cultures and families really take death seriously and dont see it as an end but more of a transition to another realm. When I visit a grave that has been in the same spot (Yes, some unfortunately move, New Orleans taught me that), that has withheld winter after winter, rain, snow, storm and is still legible I get lost in thinking about the person or family that once loved, lost, feared, celebrated then..lights out.

We are lucky to be alive, lucky to be able to enjoy riches from so long ago. Hope you enjoyed that beautiful song. I love that little boy, his voice is seriously angelic. The song is from a poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye. Beautiful lyrics, such a relaxing melody...

5 comments:

  1. Niral7:23 AM

    Sara, a true Persian-Aryan lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niral7:38 AM

    'death'is a ultimate reality and 'life'- a profound mystery for reasoning mind, man is the becoming and soul is the being. The aim is merging into the divine 'Sat-chit-anand'- pure consciousness, pure existence and pure bliss.

    All is one, and one is in the All- 'The Bhagavad Gita'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niral, what a beautiful and profound comment you left me. Thank you so much for these comments. I enjoy what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spirituality is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sara for this warm appreciation of my comments, It came out naturally as many secrets of life, death, brave-heart, consciousness, intuition, art and beauty lies in the spirituality.

    ReplyDelete