Yalda Night

  

Happy Yalda night to everyone!! Tonight, December 21st is the longest night of the year. I just came back from my mothers celebration of light party. Though I didnt stay long I did appreciate the number of Iranians gathering at my moms house for food, poetry, dancing and reflection of the year that is ending. Its a beautiful tradition and one with many connections to other religions. The ultimate battle of good and evil... light and dark...

After tonight is over, we all put the darkness behind us and celebrate the Spring full of light that awaits us. I love these types of celebrations because, like New Years, its a chance for us to rid ourselves of hardships carried throughout the year.

Today is also quite special to me because it is my fathers birthday. I spend a lot of time reflecting on my life and where my life is going. Knowing that half of the whole that created me is no longer here always leaves me in a mood. Therefore the celebration of the beautiful Spring that awaits is more appreciated than anything else.

I wish you all well and wish each and every one of you a warm and loving winter.I Dont know how many of you are staying true to tradition and staying up till sunrise eating, drinking, reading poetry and dancing but either way, enjoy your celebration how you see fit.

I hope you take the time to watch the video. Hopefully you'll feel a sense of unity as I did after watching it. We are all here to experience life, to love, to be loved, to create and feel fulfilled in our own special ways. Treat each other with respect, be the light in your own life




In your light I learn how to love,
In your beauty, how to make poems
You dance inside my chest
Where no one sees you,

but sometimes I do.

And that sight becomes that art.

Rumi

1 comment:

  1. Natalie11:54 PM

    Came to your website through o post shared. The video is so insightful and eye opening. Your site is very appealing. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete