Lets Eat!

I made a new dish last night that was actually pretty simple to make. I had never made a bechamel sauce before. When I tasted how delicious it was my mind started racing with ideas of ingredients I can add to my next attempt.

I took equal parts flour and butter and melted it in a saucepan till the color became nice and golden. Wait to make sure the color changes to a golden color because thats when you'll know the flour flavor is cooked out. Then I added 2 cups of milk, or cream, and some salt, pepper and some thyme together. Whisk it till it thickens, remove from heat and place to the side.


Then I took a few potatoes and half an onion and sliced them up pretty thin then layered my pan. Layer of potatoes, layer of onions, layer of potatoes...till I ran out. Then pour the bechamel sauce over the whole dish
Then I added some cheese and pita crumbs. I think next time, I can cook the dish in the oven for 20 minutes before adding the cheese and crumbs. I love crunch and I love cheese that has been cooked to a crunch, but not everyone likes that. If you dont want a crunchy crust, then add the cheese 20 minutes after its been baking..

Oven set to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes
I also made shrimp and asparagus in a garlic lemon butter sauce. Steam your asparagus for a little bit before adding it to your pan of shrimp. I took a stick of butter, 10 garlic cloves, salt, pepper, juice of half a lemon, lemon zest and parsley cooked it all up with my shrimp then added asparagus. Whatever extra sauce you have in the pan you can store in the fridge for flavored garlic lemon butter. So worth experimenting with this dish. REALLY YUMMY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kristine9:00 AM

    Crispy cheese is my favorite. Do your grilled cheese, you makes the bomb GC

    ReplyDelete